Investment in innovation must be balanced with the need to ensure the sustainability of healthcare budgets, and all health professionals have a responsibility to help achieve this balance | European Journal of Cancer
- Innovation in cancer care does not have to be complex or expensive.
- An innovation’s value depends on patient outcomes, quality of life and system costs.
- A whole-system, whole-patient approach is required to guide investment in innovation.
- Patients must be more involved in defining and assessing the value of innovation.
- Investment in real-world data is essential to shape decisions about interventions.
Full reference: Aapro, M. et al. (2017) Identifying critical steps towards improved access to innovation in cancer care: a European CanCer Organisation position paper. European Journal of Cancer. Volume 82 – pp. 193–202